To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Thursday, March 17, 2011

1936 Flood - Main and Clinton

This picture postcard was sent in by reader Rick M. (Lisa - At the time of the flood my own father Robert Cacicia was less than a year old and lived right next to the crick on K Street) and the following story is from my Aunt (Mimi) Mary Jane Cacicia Adams - "I was just 5, so bear with me. My Dad (John Cacicia) must of tried to get to work that morning (he had a shoe repair store in Cambria City) , and the Street cars were not running. So he and a few of his Gumba's started walking to Morrellville to see what was going on.

I guess they had heard over the Radio that some area's had flooding. He came back awhile later and told my Mother to pack up what could be carried, and her and us kids to go to a friend's house up the hill. We got to the end of K street, and turned left and started walking.  Johnny (her borther ) and I thought this was great, A field day and a sleepover.  Lucy and Fred being teenagers were not that impressed.

  My Dad said that water was coming up fast at the Bridge in Morrellville, where there is a Market now, and the turn to go to Coopersdale.' and that it was headed our way. We got to our destination. They had children our age, and that thought it was great also..We dug in for the long haul. It was great while it lasted.

Several hours later My Dad gets there, and the "Bubble of Happiness" was burst. He said the water stopped at the bridge, and was receding.( he actually didn't say receding,as I doubt he could pronounce that word). But the water was no longer coming our way.  There was sadness in Mudville right then. Oh, wrong thing, that was a line out of Casey at the Bat. Well, it was sad and we were very disappointed.

    We returned home. Quiet on the way back, maybe because Pop was with us then? Both Johnny and I confered later, that we were both thinking in our minds,  We were cursing the "Water that stopped at the Bridge.!!   Ruined a day that was supposed to be a fun day, even if it was a Flood.
   

No comments: