To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Cambria City Ethnic Fest 2011


Cambria City Ethnic Fest - 2011. I took all of the following pictures from around 4 to 5 pm friday night. Way before a million people descended upon Cambria City. By the time we left - St. Mary's was packed along with Chestnut Street from 8th Avenue to 3rd Avenue. And getting a parking space was tough - even the lot by the Ten Acre Bridge was packed.
First stop was St. Mary's for a bite to eat. If you go into the hall - the big screen is showing a bunch of the Cambria City photographs from this website.
What stopped me in my tracks though - as soon as I walked through the door - looking up to see if there was a food line yet - was one of my pictures - it was my grandmother working at BESTFORM - larger than life. I got a kick out of that.
I love the fact - that even though my nephew RJ goes for the Happy Meals - he also enjoys dipping his fork into a plate of pierogi. I even brought a dozen home - that he enjoyed as a late night snack. 
Of course we always have to feed the ducks and geese.
These are the booths set up right across from St. Mary's Pavilion. 
They line both sides of the street. Cutting thru the alley - our next stop Resurrection Church (Old St. Stephens). 
Lots to eat and do.
There is ALWAYS a long line for Potato Pancakes.
The food booth on 5th Avenue.
Rounding the corner - heading down Chestnut Street towards Ace's and VOMA.
Like I said at the top - I went early before the big crowds so I could take these pictures. 
Left side - Ace's and Right side - VOMA.
Ace's Outside Tent
VOMA and now heading around the corner to:
The Bottle Works - Ethnic Arts Center
They just painted the side of the building - in Tulips. And do you know why - this building used to house the Tulip Bottling Company.
One of the newest editions to the Cambria City Family of Buildings - Art Works in Johnstown.
Turning around - we next head back up Chestnut Street towards the Children's Area that is up at 8th Avenue.
On the right - you can barely see it - is the old Catholic War Vets Post 954 - where I used to spend a lot of time - as a bartender many years ago. Towards the middle is more food and music at the Slovak Lutheran Church.
We even have time for a potty break. They have Porta Johns every couple of blocks. 
On the Left - Slovak Lutheran Church - upper left - old St. Rochus and on the right is the Slovak Band Hall (where I also used to tend bar occassionally).
Next stop the Children's Area - set up by Resurrection Church in the old St. Rochus Parking Lot.
Games....games....and more games...but before we play - RJ wanted his face painted.
He picked out a Dolphin.
I admire people that are artistic. I am the type of person that has trouble signing their own name. I've always wished I could draw and paint. 
Now it's off to play games - and I have to say - all the churches have done a great job at keeping their prices - Family Friendly - Very Reasonable - especially in this day and age. 
--------------------
--------------------
The major task of every kid - which prize to pick - it has to be just the right one. We played every game twice and then some. We wanted to take a break - so we headed back down towards St. Mary's and the river wall - where we love to sit and eat. 
Looking down Chestnut Street - booths line both sides. We got: Sno-Cones and 
and for me - my very favorite
Cheregi - fried dough. My mother was the last one to make it in the family and now that she is gone - I only get these once a year at Ethnic Fest. Hers were always slightly more puffy than the ones my Aunt Marge used to make a Christmas. But either way - they were delicious!
After walking up and down Chestnut Street countless times - we finished up at where we started - St. Mary's and our River Wall Hangout.

No comments: