To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas - 1976

This picture (courtesy of JAHA) I first posted this time last year. Glosser's and snow - Christmas 1976. What makes this picture even more touching is that unknown to all of us at the time - this would be the last regular Christmas Season for the store - the flood put an end to alot of things including Glosser's - in 1982.
I was thinking of this picture when I was taking the shots of Central Park and the holiday houses - CLICK HERE to see those. To me - no store will even compare to walking into Glosser's and the warm scents of roasting nuts hitting your nose - you couldn't resist it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful memories for me too. I was shocked to see that some one else re-member's the scents of the warn nuts. Where I live Knoxville, TN they don't even know what a salted red skin is. Wow, were they good. I loved there comic books, they were less expensive. So many wonderful times. I have not seen home since 67. Thanks for posting the picture and your memories.

Jake Trexel

Ron said...

Wow, what memories in that store. I really loved their warm cashews.

Joanne said...

After a day of shopping downtown with Mom, it was a custom to always bring home a bag of salted redskins for Daddy!

Brian said...

Hellooo.....the store that closed was Penn Traffic not Glosser's...

Anonymous said...

Glosser's did not close in 82, maybe 90 or so. I remember my dad's girlfriend going to work there and my mom was still alive in 82....

Anonymous said...

I would love a copy of your Glosser Bro pic. French fries w gravy, the twins who served ice cream, taking the Hystone bus to town, Woolworths chocolate covered raisins, the street vendor on the corner of Central Park, these are a few of my favorite things .Growing up Johnstown, Priceless!