To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Children of the 1889 Flood

This photograph is from around 1893 or so - and these are the children of the Flood - the 1889 Flood. These kids somehow survived - which is why this picture is very special to me. I think it shows on their faces. It was sent in by reader Jude Waples and shows our mutual cousin - John Berg who is in the top row - middle. He lost his mother - they lived on Chestnut Street - he survived along with his grandparents - Conrad and Margaret (Hopp) Lenz. He was rescued by a farmer on a bridge in Bolivar - pulled from the river. Conrad and Margaret were found clinging amongst the tree branches near the same spot. They never found the body of his mother Mary (Lenz) Berg.
John was raised by my grandfathers family. Later on he along with his wife Katy (Gloor) dedicated their lives to serving others in need. For many years - John was a Johnstown City Council member who once knocked the mayor out cold during a meeting - he was just standing up for the rights of others - I have to confess - that's my favorite story about him.

5 comments:

Alanna said...

Great photo and story. What a long, terrifying trip down the river that must have been for him.

Anonymous said...

How do we know that these are all survivors of the flood and not just a class picture from the 1890s?

Anonymous said...

My grandmother and her 3 brothers are probably in this photo altho I could not pick them out. Their family name was Ashcom. Grandma's name was Maude Emma and she was born in 1888. She told me that her mother had taken her and her brothers into an attic in downtown Johnstown and that is how they survived.

Laurie said...

Do you know if there is a name list of the children left orphaned in the flood? I'm searching for my grandfathers birth name. He was born 3-19-1889. Thank you.

Lisa Cacicia said...

I have never found an official orphans list. JAHA might know more about than I.