To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Old Johnstown High School - 1985


In honor of the anniversary of my high school graduation - I thought I'd start a new series. For months back in 1985 - with my brand new two piece JVC video camera and the separate recording deck and 5 pound battery strapped over my shoulder....me and my sister - spent every weekend exploring what was left of Johnstown High School. What is even more amazing about the stuff I shot is that it is 27 years old and the quality isn't too bad - my shooting skills on the other hand have improved a bit. Consider this first posting like the beginning of a long miniseries - since there are many more installments to follow.

11 comments:

Brian said...

Can you imagine at one time that huge building housed just 11th and 12th grade students? Amazing! Goes to show how badly this area has declined.

Debra said...

It's so spooky to see the bones of the building like that. *Love* the shot of "This town won't die!" My favorite graffiti ever.

Ron said...

That saddens me, I always wanted to go to school there and never had the chance. I missed the cut off by 5 years.

Anonymous said...

I just did a book on the "History of Johnstown High School" It is 88 pages long. If interested call me. (814) 288-1616

Lisa Cacicia said...

Anonymous that wrote the book - who do I ask for on the phone - Lisa

Anonymous said...

I graduated from JHS in 1969. In those days, it was only 11th and 12th grades, and yet there were 1500 total students. My class was 792 graduates. How times have changed.

pittsburgher said...

.

pittsburgher said...

Hello anon,
Is this the school featured in the early "All The Right Moves" scene where Stef gets a ride to school and Bosko pulls under a bridge/overpass up to the school? I know that various schools were used for different scenes

Lisa Cacicia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Cacicia said...

The movie was filmed inside the vacant building.

Lisa

Dan DeFrances said...

What a majestic building. Sad that the Johnstown city schools from this bygone era have been knocked down...are there any left standing?