To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Diary of a Johnstown Housewife - 1947



 With the start of a new year - thought I'd kick off a unique look into the life of a Johnstown woman thru her diary for the year of 1947. I just picked this up on Ebay for a couple of bucks - I couldn't resist - I just love this kind of stuff. But it also makes me feel bad that their own families didn't care enough to keep a treasure like this - I also feel the same way over family pictures that no longer have anyone to enjoy them.
Anyway back to the diary that contains the thoughts and daily activities of a Mrs. Elizabeth Oldham of Moxham. Doing a quick Google search - it looks like she died in 2004 - but I couldn't find her obit.
On the front page are two more names listed - a Mrs. Fleegle of Walnut Street and Ethel Heaton - I have no other information on these women either - except maybe the Ethel might be related somehow to Elizabeth. On the title page - you also have a grape jelly recipe. Must have been really important to her for her to put it up front.
So welcome to Wednesday - January 1, 1947:
 At the camp...
We are packing and getting ready to move. Eddie and I stayed up to hear the whistles, but only heard a lot of booms. We slept some after 12 o clock. The last night at the old camp.

1 comment:

KarenLL said...

Looking forward to reading each and every page. It's sad that someone would sell this precious look into someone's life. Keep up the good work Lisa!!