To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Central Park - 1894

The above view of Central Park was taken in 1894 and shows the buildings then located along Park Place with the GAR Hall at the far right. The large house on the left hand side (with porches on the first and second floor) was later torn down to make room for the Pythian Temple or as it is now known, the Park Building. The house was the residence of Dr. Webster Lowman who was a captain in the Civil War. His father, John Lowman was also a doctor. Webster's son. John, was also a well known doctor who practiced in Johnstown until the late 1920's. Dr, Webster Lowman's office was the small building to the right of the house.
The building on the extreme left was the Jordan Building (with the first YMCA located on the second floor). It was located at the corner of Main and Park Place. The spot was later occupied by the W.T. Grant Store. The large house next to the GAR Hall was the residence of John Fulton, the General Manager of Cambria Iron.

No comments: