To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Carrolltown - 1894

Carrolltown was founded in 1840 when Father Peter Henry Lemke, who was an assistant to Prince Gallitzin and also pastor of the Catholic Church in Ebensburg at the time, bought 395 acres in what is now Carrolltown from William Vaux. The first lots were sold in 1847. In 1849 St. Benedict's Catholic Church was started in Carrolltown and dedicated in 1850. In 1851 John Campbell bought 81 acres from Father Lemke and laid out a town which he called Campelltown. However, that land together with the rest of the tract was combined and renamed Carolltown after Bishop Carroll of Baltimore. 


No comments: