To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Thursday, January 2, 2020

1889 Flood Survivors Project - Minnie A. Roberts

 -------------------------
 --------------------------
Minnie A. Roberts
R-226 Strayer St.
Phone: 535-3902
At the time of the Flood she lived at the corner of Garfield and Chandler Sts., just a block from her address in 1963.
Mrs. Roberts' name is listed in the event program for the 75th Anniversary Banquet.
The attached letter:
I was just a child when this awful flood happened. My father, Henry Anderson, had a general store on the corner of Chandler Ave. and Garfield St. and fortunately the waters did not come up that far, but father took me with him down to the bank where the raging torrent was passing and I will never forget the houses and debris that was flowing like mad on its way to destruction.
One thing that impressed me most as a child was a house completely submerged with nothing above water but the roof and singing "Nearer My God to Thee." I am now 86 years of age but that scene is just as fresh in my memory as when I saw it as a child of 10 or 11 years of age.
This may not be what you want as I was not actually in the Flood waters, but I was near enough to tell the terrible story. I thank God that I was spared that terrible ordeal.
I saw the terrible destruction when fire broke out in the houses jammed up at the Stone Bridge and people crying for help.
My Father had a general store and the second store in Morrellville and I was born there and have lived in Morrellville all my life.
My father's name was Henry Anderson and my maiden name was Minnie Anderson.
I may not be what you want as a Flood Survivor, but give you this little story of what I saw when a child and this terrible flood took place.
Respect,
Minnie A. Roberts

Courtesy of Debra Orner - #Jayceesfloodsurvivors

No comments: