To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Friday, February 3, 2012

Amelia Earhart at Cochran - 1929


Scanning this in today - I did a double take - this is so cool! That's Amelia Earhart at Cochran - who would have thought it. This picture is in a bunch of others - all from Cochran - from various years. I didn't notice her at first - looking through all of them quickly the other day when I picked them up. It was only when I was messing around after scanning today - that I noticed her. I guess the small airplane underneath the banner should have been a clue to me....
Only last week I was talking about her at work and my co-worker stopped off at a bookstore in Gettysburg to pick me up a 1960's era book on her disappearance. I was talking to him about a Florida teenager that might have been the last person to hear Amelia's distress calls - for more on that CLICK HERE.
I wonder where else she stopped off at - when she flew into the old Westmont Airport - for more on that post CLICK HERE. This just goes to show you - sometimes I don't even realize what I have underneath my own nose. Guess I better look at the rest of the pictures more closely.

5 comments:

Judy said...

My mother remember seeing Amelia Earhart in Johnstown when she was in school. I looked online and found this. to verify it. Thanks for the photo.

bethstakeonlife said...

This is very interesting to see. My great-grandfather was William Cochran, the person this school is named after.

akeask said...

Well, her family was familiar with our area. Her grandfather pastored a church in Somerset at one time. He also had the deed to our farm, about 5 miles South of Johnstown. There were no farm buildings at that time and he may have never seen it.

akeask said...

Well, her family was familiar with our area. Her grandfather pastored a church in Somerset at one time. He also had the deed to our farm, about 5 miles South of Johnstown. There were no farm buildings at that time and he may have never seen it.

Patty Ashcraft said...

That is awesome! I loved attending that school.