To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Monday, December 31, 2012

Market Street - Downtown Johnstown


Thought I'd wrap the year up with this little gem - Market Street - Downtown Johnstown.
This is one of those rare glimpses into some of the Mom and Pop stores that used line the streets of America - before the big box stores knocked them all out of business.
Tried to get a better look at things - the ad painted on the side of the building says Kennedy's Groceries and I really wanted to see what was in the windows - but this is the best I can do.

It's been a busy year for Vintage Johnstown as the website continues to grow - thanks to you the readers - what makes me happy is that besides myself - folks really are interested in keeping these memories alive. What makes me the happiest is the amount of young people on the site. Sometimes I forget that if you are younger than say 40 or so - those readers sometimes have no idea where or what I am talking about - it's then that I feel really...really old....lol!
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The shoe store prior to the flower shop is now George's song shop. Cool pic

Len said...

Its cool that there are so many young people checking out your site. But there are a bunch of us oldies that dont live in Johnstown anymore that just love this site. So thank you Lisa for all your hard work and time you put in on this site.

Joe said...

Lisa,
Which side of Main St is this picture? I'm thinking that it is on the southern side with the old YWCA just down on the left. Am I wrong?

Lisa Cacicia said...

Joe - this is Market Street. The park on the left hand side that you can only see some of - is where Morley's Dog is. George's Song Shop is on the other end - Lisa

Joe said...

Thanks Lisa, I was thinking that the street behind the far building was Lincoln Street but you are saying that is is Locust. Thanks for clearing me up...

Rish said...

Hi, I am Quentin Risher. I rememer Johnstown from the forties through the fifties. Do you know how mwny theaters there were on Main st? How about "Linderman's Elite" candy store and soda fountain. It was on the same corner as "TOPS DINER"
I worked at the Embassy Theater in the eary fifties, until I said good bye to Johnstown and Joined the Navy ! If you want to run on about Johnstown; My Email address is: rish710@verizon.net