To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Keeping it in the Family - So to Speak


I have another tale of cousins marrying cousins. And this time - it's even more interesting - but I won't use their last name - because some of their family might not know.
She was a nun in the old country and he was studying to be a priest. Their fathers were brothers in a very small and close-knit community in the old country. But it seems the love birds just couldn't stay away from each other. She was slightly older than him - sent to a nunnery to cure her of him. He was sent to become a priest. Needless to say - it didn't stick to either of them. They both left their orders and married in the old country just days before heading on a boat to America.
I can remember the day I heard this story. I was playing outside at my great-grandmothers house and she was talking about. Usually when they would talk the good stuff - they'd switch over to slovak. But not this time. I stopped playing and sat on the steps taking it all in. Whether it was because of that or something else - my family never really bothered with them much - I think they didn't want anything to do with us - their loss. I can remember seeing her only once. My mother wanted to introduce us to her - but the old nun didn't want anything to do with us. She just sat like ancient Queen Victoria on her porch in her rocking chair.

2 comments:

Debra said...

Great story!

Carolyn said...

I love this Romeo and Juliet story! How romantic, and it had a happy ending!