To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Monday, September 14, 2026

The Letters - July 26th, 1893 - To Mrs. Anna Hay from son John working in Braddock




                             Braddock, Pa.
                             July 26th, (1893)

Dear Momma:--

I saw Miss Mitchell about a week ago, and she told she had been to call on you & you were well. (John) Unger (his uncle) said he told you I was not feeling very well & was sorry he told you for he said it worried you. Well, dont worry for I am all right. I wasnt sick just felt a little bad that was all. He said you were not feeling well yourself but I hope you are all right now. 

I expect to take my vacation sometime about the 10th & go to the sea shore. I havent much desire to see the World Fair (World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago from May to October 1893) & would prefer to go to Atlantic City. You spoke of asking Max for a position for me well dont do it yet for I am not ready to leave the laboratory & would not take any job for less than 15 or #80 (not sure about what he is trying to say here) for I can make more than that by working at my trade here. 

I am glad the house is getting along so nicely & as for my room use your own pleasure as any one will suit me and let George (his brother) decide as for taking Mr. & Mrs. Kuhn (relatives). I would just do as Mr. Johnston seems to want to do but for my part I think it would be nice & if it wasnt you could explain things & they could go some place else. 

It is half past six & I want to go to supper. So good bye love to all

Lovingly

John


 

No comments: