To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Friday, May 27, 2011

West End - Good Luck Parade - 1942

In honor of Memorial Day I will be posting lots of war related items - most coming from my cousins old scrap book. She saved this clipping from April 21, 1942 of eleven West End selectees on their way to fight World War II. I am willing to bet that at least one of those men were friends of my family.
The store building in the back looks very familiar - but I can't think where I know it from. I thought maybe this is the Barron Avenue area - but I'm not so sure because it could be Fairfield Avenue. It's that house with the flag that is throwing me off. It just really looks to me to be looking up towards Virginia Avenue. If anyone has any better ideas let me know. Double click on the picture to enlarge.

4 comments:

Isabella said...

I can tell its Virginia Ave. just by looking at it.

Marge Torchia Stewart said...

I think the store on the corner was owned by Sputzie and Beanie Barna. Beanie was my mother's made of honor and my confirmation godmother. The parade is moving towards Virginia Avenue from Barron Avenue. It's been so long since I was back in Johnstown for any length of time, but I'd say for sure it's Barna's Store.

Anonymous said...

It is Barna's store. Virginia Avenue is in the background with Barron Avenue in the foreground. I lived on Stackhouse Street which would be the street heading up to the right of the picture.

Darcie said...

The store with the flag is Barna's. My grandfather/mother, John and Mary Barna owned it until the 60's and then my Aunt Beanie Vrabel and Mother Kay Fiore/Legarski bought it and ran it until the late 60's. My Uncle John Barna is on the porch of the store in the white coat (he was a butcher) and I see my Mother out in front with the blond tuft of hair in a head scarf! She was 19 in this photo! What great memories this has brought back! Thanks!!! BTW, the parade is going up Barron.