To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Saturday, December 28, 2019

1889 Flood Survivors Project - Edward Bailey

 -----------------
 -----------------------
 --------------------------
 ----------------------
This one was challenging to follow - - but definitely one of my favorites so far. What wonderful sentiments about the First Ward!
The Catholic church he mentions is almost certainly Saint John Gualbert--the original church on Jackson Street burned to the ground that night.
I could not find Ella Bailey listed among the victims.

Mr. Bailey's name is listed in the event program for the 75th Anniversary Banquet.
Edw Bailey, age 94
229 Vine
Phone - - Col, Ohio 274-8724
Columbus, Ohio
1-14-64
To Jaycees
C/o Survivors Committee
216 Franklin St.
Johnstown, Pa.
Gentlemen - -
I was born July 24 - 1870 at 229 Vine St. - - was at work, plumber for my father, S. C. Bailey. His shop across from City Hall in the Ellis area--we never saw the shop afterwards--the water was covering First Ward, over flowing the Stonycreek - - at noon flowing down Vine St. - - 4 ft. high.
I went down home to Father, Mother and 7 children - - my sister Ella--16 yrs old, was at Rowley home sitting - - a large brick house--it colapsed--she was drowned - - we landed near the Union Street High School.
It was a terrible night - - fire at Stone Bridge and Catholic church and raining like (?).
We all escaped--I was 19 years old - - now 93 1/2, pretty good except my legs, walk with a cane. I played baseball in the Athletics in 1895. Champion of Western Pa.
Pop (?) Golden manager in Race Track - - Westmont. 96 and 97 in Woodvale. Replogle and Horton managers, the boys then were Keller, Mainhart and Zang, Gatins (?), Haws, Kinkead and Murphy - - Decker (?), Neary, Burns and many others. I played 1st base and *the only one* living today. 93 1/2 years old.
I had a letter from George Walker William a few years ago. He said he and I were the only survivors. I think he is dead now.
In the seventies a good many of the homes were log houses with an acre or two grounds. Around then nearly all the residents of the First Ward were all Welsh - - decent and all good neighbors. I have fond reminiscences of my old home town. It's a big city now.
I now live in Columbus, Ohio and would like to hear of any boy who lived in the First Ward before the Flood of 1889.
With best wishes to all who are still living after that disaster.
Yours truly,
Edward Bailey
21 Clarendon Ave.
Columbus 23, Ohio

Courtesy of Debra Orner - #Jayceesfloodsurvivors.

1 comment:

Winkie ambrogi said...

This is from my grandfather .