To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Sunday, July 26, 2026

The Letters - December 26, 1914 - To Mrs. Anna Hay in Johnstown from Clara R. Austin - Philadelphia



Oak Lane, December 26, '14
Dear Mrs. Hay,

I can not tell you how I admire the piece of lace you so kindly sent me. I feel sure it is your own dainty handiwork, and appreciate it the more on that account. Thank you very much indeed. The pretty shade of velvet sets it off, too.

We had a very quiet, happy Christmas, and of course thought of you all in Johnstown. I have not been in to see Mrs. Fisher since her fall, but want to go as soon as I can. Mrs. Roberts lives all alone, and I try to go to see her once a week. We tried to persuade her to spend Christmas with us ; but the snow made walking so treacherous, she was afraid to venture. She has had some very serious falls on icy pavements, and situated as she now is, a fall would be a calamity.

Thank you again for the lovely piece of neckwear you sent me; and with best wishes for a happy new year, I am 

Lovingly your friend,

Clara R. Austin


 

No comments: