May 20, 1914 Johnstown, Pa
Dear Mother,
It is too bad about our letters for I believe neither we nor you have received all that were written. I did not get one from early in April but the letter of congratulations you sent to George's office he received on the 11th. Soon after then he wrote he wrote you a note & sent clippings and I hope you got them for tho' I can't tell now what they were, they were of local interest and we might never think of mentioning them again.
Then came your letter to both of us and in that you asked for the ribbon. I looked everywhere in the attic but the pieces I sent were the best I could find and hope you received them. I write a short note in with the ribbon but it may be you got it writing last time.
I thought I would write you Sunday afternoon as (Dr. ) George had to go to the hospital with Doctor Wagoner but then Herman(?) phoned and invited us to take a ride so I hurried through my work & dressed and when they came we went to the hospital to pickup George then went then went out to their new home. The foundation is finished & piles of field stone there ready to go on. There are 25 acres of woodland right down to Mill Creek Dam and it is a magnificent piece of woods. The dog wood is just out so the woods looked beautiful and the day was so fine that everything was at its best.
Monday eve. I walked down to Geo. & Marion's and George stopped for me. Nothing new there. They showed me a postcard of the house that Marion was going to send to you. Next Saturday Betty & Alice are going to start lessons with me. Gertrude has improved a lot and I see much of them. Aunt Gertrude is out with her flowers most of the time tho' last week she gave up to another rummage sale.
We have worked carefully on the lawn and dug dandelions as soon and as long as they were to be seen. Today there is not one in sight and it will be a great disappointment if they bob up again next year. Tho' George thinks they could easily blow over from Uncle Max's corner.
Dr. Morgan has moved in and really the place doesn't look half bad and they do work hard with it. I think there is no special news to tell you. The most important event for the near future is Con's (?) wedding. Of course you have your invitation by now. Lucile asked if you would be back for the wedding and said you intended to visit John Hay on the way home so I didn't suppose you would be. Was that right? She was sorry. They are having quite a small wedding but George and I are invited too so some of the family will be represented.
Their house is nearly finished, my! But it did go up rapidly. I rather looked for them to call as Lucille said they would come here next time they came to look at the house. Last week Margaret Thackery took me to call on her and I had a lovely afternoon. She showed me her pretty things and Mrs. Bradshaw served tea and I met Mrs. Carter. I am so glad they are going to live near since I like them.
I hear Nell Marshall has been elected new Regent of the D.A.R. Chapter. What did you think of the huge edition of the Tribune that the Suffragists edited? Mrs. Endsley has worked so hard I think she looks tired—but don't tell her so. That strain & worry of getting news for the paper is over now so she can rest.
Marshe (?) Mulcey was married M. di Vinanzo on May 9th. They went to Washington & are home again now. Of course I was eager to hear every detail of that event. Mrs. Mowery has gone to Washington too, to visit a sister-in-law I think, for a couple of weeks. I do hope she will enjoy if for she was so looking forward to it.
Well, I've made a little work than a note of this and I hope you will get it. We are so sorry "Cousin Dora" did not win the (golfing) cup—it was entirely too much of a handicap.
Lovingly,
Mary
May 20th,
PS Yes the geraniums grew all right in the attic & I have set them out where they were last year. No. Aunt Elizabeth has not been here New Years I believe.
M





No comments:
Post a Comment