To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Thursday, June 16, 2011

High above Johnstown - 1950's

This picture was taken by my Uncle Jim Kinnel from on top of one of those large holding tanks that Bethlehem used to have scattered all along the river.  His work gang were the ones who painted them and some of the bridges around the city. You know the ugly shade of green. And to this day - you can still tell who used to work at the mill by the color of their houses at times. There are still quite a few of the old cans of mill green around - still being used to this day. This view is circa 1950's.

4 comments:

JoAnn said...

My dad worked for 40 years at the mill as a rigger.....Is that what your uncle was???

JoAnn said...

I have enjoyed looking at your photos...brings back so many good memories. Whenever I return to Johnstown to visit my parents, I am saddened by the state of the community. Thanks for posting.

Lisa Cacicia said...

I'm not exactly sure what Jim did - I'll have to ask him - all I know is that they used to play poker alot - Lisa

Anonymous said...

Those holding tanks are called hot stoves for the blast furances, They supply hot gas to the furance.