To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Grandview Cemetery


This picture which I just got has made my day - so I hurried up and scanned it in for today's post. Very early shot of the old entrance to Grandview Cemetery - when it used Millcreek Road. Knowing that the cemetery opened in 1885 and had their first burial in 1887 and judging the landscape and clothing styles - I would date this between 1887 and no later than the mid 1890's. Bucknell Avenue became the official entrance in 1904. Click on the pictures to enlarge them.
Top of the gate.
This picture is mounted on very thick cardboard and looks like it hung on a wall. I think either the two men or the young boy were related to people that had it on their wall.
This looks like some type of inscription on the stone of the doorway of the arch - but it's too hard to make out - along with a creepy looking image most likely caused by the weather. At least I hope that is the case....because it kind of reminds me of the Virgin Mary.
This picture was taken in the Spring which helps to really show off some of the features that are long gone - like the fences - which I have never seen pictures of before. All in all - a pretty cool look at this age-old landmark. For a picture of the old Chapin Arch - CLICK HERE.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neat find! Grandview history is interesting. Please post whatever you find. Thanks!

Debra said...

Very cool. I've never seen a photo of the original entrance. And I thought the image in the one pic looked like Jesus! Whatever caused it, it's cool.

Len said...

Great pictures of a bygone era. A bit of a spooky trail to travel to get to a graveyard!! Wouldnt want to be there after dark..

Galen Miller (again) said...

The arch in this picture I think was called the Morrell Arch. There was a name given to the chapel, too, but I don't remember it offhand.

Vincent Eagan said...

I'm rather surprised no one else caught the similarity to the Virgin Mary there and it didn't start a pilgrimage movement. I guess stuff like that didn't happen as easily then! lol

Wil said...

Hi. The cemetery entrance, this entrance, was not on Millcreek Road. This entrance was along the switchback road from the Chapin Arch to Grandview. The foundations are visible along this route.