To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Saturday, August 29, 2026

The Letters - August 11, 1917 - To Mrs. Anna Hay in Johnstown - from Clara R. Austin in Philadelphia




                                                     Oak Lane
                                                     Aug. 11, 1917

Dear Mrs. Hay,

I should like to look in and see you all this fine morning. The weather is remarkable, more like October than August; but it is very dry and everything is suffering for want of rain. I went to see Mrs. Fisher, and Mrs. King who has been with her for some time. She said she was very sorry for you could not have come to see her this summer as she does not know what her future will be. 

She still feels that she would like to pay a visit to Johnstown but could not say positively whether she can arrange for it this fall or not.  I am sending you a couple of spools of cotton #40. The best match I could find. Wanamaker's had only #50, but it was exactly the same shade as this which I got at Strawbridge's. 

The knives (?) will be done in about a week and I hope will be all right. I told them to send directly to you. With appreciation for all your kindnesses I am 

Lovingly,

Clara R. Austin


 

No comments: