Oak Lane, Phila. 5,21,'15
My dear Mrs. Hay,
I feel quite delinquent in being so slow in acknowledging the receipt of your card and of the delicious grape fruit which arrived safely and which has been a real treat. Accept hearty thanks for my choice (?) of it; we have all enjoyed it.
As you know Mrs. Austin was in Johnstown for a short visit *see previous letter I posted). She felt that she must go this month between the dates of important club meetings here and also at a time when your fine apple orchard, of which she had heard so much, was in bloom. It was a matter of regret that her visit antidated your return.
Shall you be able to take us in on your return trip? I trust you may, as I have very pleasant recollections of your visit here two years ago. I greatly enjoy an agreeable companion when we can sew together and enjoy the fresh air on the porch. I was very much pleased with Mrs. Fisher, her son, also; they are the kind of people that I wish to know better.
Mrs. Austin comes home each time more in love with her son-in-law—a very pleasant state of affairs which I feel sure will always continue. It is quite certain that love is the greatest thing in the world.
I suppose the awful war (WWI - started in 1914 - U.S. entered in 1917) is as disturbing to you and your relatives in the South as it is to us in Phila. May Heaven send a speedy end to such horrors.
With all good wishes and hoping to see you in the near future.
Sincerely Yours,
Margaret L Roberts




No comments:
Post a Comment