Oak Lane, August 24, '15
Dear Mrs. Hay,
I have just received a note from Mary, saying that the two names she omitted were "poppy" and "elder": so our guess was right in those cases. Yesterday afternoon Mrs. Goodwin called, purposely to see you. She wished for me to tell you that she was very sorry she could not come while you were here.
This morning early Mrs. Curll telephoned to invite us out to Wayne today. She too, wanted me to tell you that she regretted very much that she did not see you. If you had been here we would have gone to Wayne, but since I can go any time, I shall wait for a cooler day. Miss Crowell called yesterday, too, bringing for Mary one of those power puffs she was describing to you. I shall send it on by mail.
Madame Girond brought her guest to call: a young lady who teaches French in the High School at Tarrytown, N.Y. She took Prof. Girond's course at Cornell, for advanced work, and he was so pleased with her, that they are now having a visit from her.
A cousin of mine (Horace Philips) whom I have not seem for over twenty years, called on us yesterday. His home is in Topeka, Kansas, and is taking his vacation visiting around his old home. I can assure you I was glad to see him.
Mary says her party passed off all right; only Mrs. Wagoner couldn't come; Alice Suppes was sick, & Mrs. Lewis did not come, but she said there were fifteen there. She is well, and there was nothing else, except that after sending us the list of those she had invited, she added Mrs. Davis and Mrs. Wild; the latter had invited Mary to a reception she had gave Miss Crowell.
The man is here taking down the greenhouse; so it is pretty noisy. I hope you had no trouble reaching Woodlyn. With kind regards to all,
I am
Lovingly Yours,
Clara R. Austin




No comments:
Post a Comment