To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Thorofare Market - Morrellville

Another summer rerun: The old Thorofare Market at the corner of Laurel Avenue and Sheridan Street. Thorofare means just one thing to me...Green Stamps...and the wonderful things you could get with them by going up to the Green Stamp Redemption Center in Richland. You could play while your parents picked out what they wanted.
This old building still houses a grocery store - Save a Lot. But there is something to be said for choices. And for Morrellville...the lack of choices in regards to clean, safe and well stocked stores. We don't really have that anymore here. And that's a pity. Each time I go to Giant Eagle (The Dirty Bird) on Broad Street I am amazed that the ceiling hasn't fallen down on anybody yet.I've said it before and I will say it again....if I ever hit the lottery - I will be building a new supermarket in Morrellville that is clean and has all the choices in products that other stores in other sections of the city have. That's a promise!

5 comments:

teachermomof2 said...

I'll hold you to that promise! What I wouldn't give for a clean grocery store in the West End that has a good product line and a real bakery!

Bigbob_44425@yahoo.com said...

How do I fine more pictures of Thorfare Markets when they operated in Johnstown? I have some pictures of interest of Thorofare including the logo of the former Red Top Markets which Thorofare purchased back in the 1960's when they came into the Johnstown market.

Debra said...

My grandparents never shopped anywhere else--every Thursday night! :o)

Clem said...

Is it possible for you to be a little kinder to the Giant Eagle? There are a lot of people that makes their living working at these stores and you could be a little nicer when talking about them. I do not see you attacking any other places like you do them.

Lisa Cacicia said...

Clem - I am friends with some of the workers there and I have an even better understanding of their working conditions. I realize that their jobs depend on that store -but having said that - there is no reason why we in Morrellville have to shop at places like that - it's a different world only a few miles away. It's not right! I know the one of Broad Street is privately owned - have you seen it lately - take a walk around - it's a damn crying shame the actual condition of the store!