To join our Facebook Page :CLICK HERE

To read the Johnstown Tribune - World War II Collection: CLICK HERE

 To read thru our old Johnstown Newspaper Collection - CLICK HERE

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Franklin Mill - Updated Information

I am re-posting this picture because I have some updated information courtesy of reader Harold K. He says "I'm almost sure that the picture is from the Franklin Mill.  In 1953-4, I used to work there in the 'Crane Gang."  My group serviced all the overhead cranes in the Franklin Mill.  The train in the picture is carrying large ingots that go in or come from the huge ovens inside.  Just above the ingots on the right, notice the cab of the crane.  We worked on that crane in the cold of winter and the heat of summer.  It was one of the filthiest, greasiest jobs that you can imagine."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up there and am positive that is the Franklin Mill, where you leave Franklin boro going towards Woodvale, on the first bend.

Orlando's Jim Turner (fb) said...

I agree! When we would leave Woodvale to drive to Revloc to visit my grand parents, we'd drive up Maple Avenue, across the Maple Avenue bridge then a straight section with the railroad on the left and Bethleham on the right. Just before we made a bend to the right to get into Franklin, you would see what is in this picture on your right.